Re: [ldapext] need of dynamic attributes

christine.yoon@us.pwcglobal.com wrote:

> If a dynamic attribute such as todaysdate is defined as a part of ldap schema
> and
> the value of the attribute is the ldap server system's date, the application
> may simply configure a ldap filter something like
>     (&(ou=useraccount)(todaysdate()<expirationdate)

But if my application is running at 2002101023412Z wouldn't it just send
(&(ou=useraccount)(expirationDate>=2002101023412Z) ? This wouldn't need
a todays date or other LDAP schema extension.

> Dynamic attributes can be quite useful, which requires such attributes and
> search filter using dynamic attributes to be defined.

There was an earlier draft on dynamic attributes which were attributes
that would time out and disappear if not refreshed.  This draft document
itself timed out and disappeared though you might be able to find it
from the informal expired I-D archives.  What you describe sounds also like
the capability which some LDAP implementations provide, which I call virtual
attributes.

> I wonder if work on dynamic attributes is within ldapext scope.

LDAPEXT the working group has shut down already.  You can discuss it on this
mailing list but there is no working group 'scope' for dynamic attributes
any more.

Mark Wahl
Sun Microsystems Inc.