Re: [ldapext] VLV: a particular target entry

At 03:57 PM 2002-10-03, David Boreham wrote:
>> (Based upon your description of the Sun/Netscape server)
>> Take your address book client, select a view against the
>> Sun/Netscape server, add one entry from the list before
>> the target, then page down.  The provided view will skip
>> over one entry. That's a problem, it's real.
>
>In my limited world, this is _not_ a practical problem.

Maybe so.  But we need to design standard track protocols
such that they work well on the Internet for a wide
range of applications.  Maybe for your users and their
applications, this is not a problem.  However, I can see
that for other applications this would be a major problem.

Now, its don't necessary don't have to expand the
applicability of a protocol, but authors do need to make
sure that the known limitations your protocol are clearly
stated.

>So...an entry which was just added to the directory
>happens to not show up when a user pages down,

It actually far more likely to skip over existing entries.

>where it will if they subsequently page up again, or re-position.

When they subsequently page up, maybe one entry before the
target is deleted, so the entry is skipped again.

>The entry wasn't there a few seconds ago anyway, so
>where's the problem here ?

I scroll down, the entry I'm looking for isn't in the view.
I scroll up, the entry I'm looking for isn't in the view.
I naturally assume the entry isn't in list when in fact
the entry has been in and continues to be in the list.
Problem?  well, that depends on what action I take (or
don't take) based upon the entry not appearing on the list.