Re: [ldapext] VLV: a particular target entry

> The client may or may not run into a stability problem, depending on the
> server implementation. I believe iPlanet implements VLVs by using a
> pre-canned result set (at least that's one implementation). With that

It doesn't do this. It maintains an always-correct list of the results
for any VLV searches specified in advance (indexed). Otherwise it computes
the result set by brute force for each operation, or punts saying the
request is too hard to resolve.

> I don't know how they handle changes to the canned result set, or
> changes to the users access control.

It is possible for the client to miss entries or jump into
some unfamiliar part of the list, if the list is highly dynamic
concurrent with the client paging. I'm not convinced that it
is possible (or even desirable) to try to invent a browsing
mechanism which handles highly dynamic content, even with a
context cookie.

Does anyone have an application which needs this ?
I've seen countless VLV applications developed and
deployed and have never had this come up as a problem.

We're talking address book lists here folks. If you want
to do a scroll view onto a dynamic SQL result set, cool,
but is this the place to be defining the protocol for that application ?