Re: [ldapext] VLV: a particular target entry

Yes, the cookie/cursor association is how we maintain state, and can
therefore perform page up/down sucessfully.

Jim

>>> "David Boreham" <david_list@boreham.org> 10/03/02 02:37PM >>>

> nope, it was to do with multiple concurrent duplicate VLVs from a
single
> client on the same connection. I tried poking around the archives so
> could quote myself, but there are a bunch of zero-byte archives that
> fear hold the messages.

I have a pretty clear memory of the discussion.
My memory says that it was related to the Novell
server implementing only approximate indexing into the lists.
Without the cookie, the database engine would need to
create a new cursor (or whatever equivalent thing it uses)
for every request. With the cookie it keeps cursors live
for each client context.

The Netscape/Sun servers are able to serve multiple
concurrent clients without the cookie (because they maintain
an exact index into the list---all state to serve the request
unambiguously is carried in the request without needing
the context carried over from operation to operation).

Perhaps I've been smoking something in the meantime...