[ldapext] RE: draft-ietf-ldapext-locate

--On 2002-08-13 14.50 -0700 Paul Leach <paulle@windows.microsoft.com> wrote:

> It isn't _the_ naming convention for the Internet. It isn't even _the_
> naming convention for LDAP. If you want to think of it this way, I guess
> one could say that it is _the_ convention for LDAP DNs that contain DC
> components, but not for ones that don't.

Good, I am happy with that, but, this probably have to be spelled out
explicitly.

Example of a problem:

Take the domain name issues, and the project which try to have LDAP access
to Whois data.

We have whois data both at the registry and the registar about a domain
name. In the project, both records, the referral thing in the registry and
the actual whois info at the registrar use the same DN, and that is exactly
the dc components of the domain name itself. And, then the user himself
probably want/will have an LDAP server himself for the same DN.

Example, my domain paf.se with "dc=paf, dc=se" might exists on three
different locations.

The registry, the registrar and myself.

    paf