Re: [ldapext] draft-ietf-ldapext-locate

Paul Leach wrote:
-----Original Message-----

snip

In addition, I at least don't know that I understand the PK scenario
very well.
If I have a certificate for user with DN "X" in my hands, why do I need
to locate an LDAP server for DN X? Certainly not to get the cert for
that user, which seems like the most obvious reason. If I don't have
such a cert, how did I get the user's DN? Isn't it more likely that I
know the user's email address and want to get their cert so as to send
them S/MIME protected email? Also, I know that cert chains contain

I think cert path construction is a better application to think about.
You have the issuer name and need to find the issuer cert. This is a real problem but it arises from the fact that most pki applications
have used the issuer and subject DN fields both as "display" names and adresses (into a instead of using subjectAltName to locate certificates.

This is a misstake and the current discussion about what meaning to assign to DN's in the context of certificates and ldap is a result
of the fact that DN's in ldap are *only* used as adresses whereas DN's
in certificates are both used as addresses (into something -- the global
DIT -- which doesn't even exist) and as a source of displayable user information.

	leifj