Re: Last Call: Discovering LDAP Services with DNS to Proposed Standard

On further thought, I'm actually fairly unhappy about this approach to
constructing the name of the certificate needed.

There are other uses of SRV records; let's say I have the IMAP
protocol running, so I look up

_imap._tcp.example.net.  IN  SRV 0 0 143 imap.example.net.

If I then execute STARTTLS on this service, should I be expecting a
certificate for "example.net"?

Now all of the services for example.net share the same certificate,
even though administratively IMAP and LDAP might be in two seperate
groups/organizations/whatever and should have no business being able
to spoof each other.  Delegating one service to a subgroup shouldn't
compromise every other service for a domain.

Larry