Re: Please review proposals for LDAP controls

At 05:43 PM 2001-11-20, Rob Weltman wrote:
>>> "Identities presented by a client as part of the authentication
>>> process may be mapped by the server to an arbitrary authorization
>>> identity.  The bind response control can be used to retrieve that
>>> AuthzID.
>>> For example, during client authentication with certificates...."
>>Identies presented .... mapped to ... arbitrary authorization identities.
>>                                                                     ^^^^
>>One of these is returned upon request.  [See below]
>  How about returning potentially more than one identity in the response control? That could be done by placing the authzId or authzIds in a sequence in the value part of the response control.
>  I have yet to see an example of that, while I have seen many cases where the response control with a single DN-valued authzId is extremely useful, but at least the control would allow for the possibility of multiple authzIds.

I'm concerned that this might not be enough, but the alternatives
I can think of off the top of my head are other issues.  I'll
to think about this a bit, chat with a couple of other folks,
and get back to you on this.

Given the I-D cut-off, for now, I suggest you leave the controlValue
syntax as is and state that the server "chooses" which to return.

>>>No
>>I can see cases where it would be useful to distinguish
>>these cases, for example when used by an administrative
>>clients in testing access controls.
>  A server can support that by returning different human-readable result strings (but the same result code).

I'd prefer another resultCode be used indicate the "user
not allowed to assume asserted authzid".  One can add a
resultCode to LDAP easy enough.   You can borrow language
from the draft-zeilenga-ldap-cancel-xx.txt.  For name
and number, I suggest proxyAuthorizationNotAllowed (47).

>You're talking about debugging, not about a production environment.

I'm talking about an administrator debugging ACLs in a
production environments.  (I know of few deployments
where the administrator maintains a separate system
(or replica) solely for debugging purposes.)