Adding attributes to existing classes in the schema

Hi,

Is there any way that I can programmatically (using JLDAP) add new optional
attributes (user defined) to existing classes?
I am developing a directory based application where I need to extend the
class "top" with some of my user defined optional attributes so that all
objects in the directory can hold that attribute.
There seems to be no way in JLDAP to do it.

Also, I am using the Netscape Directory Server 4.13. When I go to the schema
page in the Server Management Console, and click on an existing class (like
top) the Edit button is disabled which suggests that Netscape Directory
Server 4.13 does not let me manually add attributes to existing classes. NDS
(Novell directory server) certainly lets you add attributes to existing
classes. Am I missing something?

Any help/pointers would be much appreciated...

Regards,
Purushottam
pgoel@aztec.soft.net