revised agenda for the flagstaff meeting

I have revised the agenda for the meeting in Flagstaff - one item for work, the other for fun. See

   ftp://ftp.bull.com/pub/OSIdirectory/Flagstaff2001/announcementRev2.pdf

I have modified the agenda to show we will discuss LDAP's use of sub-entries on Monday, 24 September, after we complete the processing of comments on the PDAMs for the Friend Attribute and for Paged Results.

To prepare for that discussion I suggest you read the document Skip Slone has prepared at

ftp://ftp.bull.com/pub/OSIdirectory/Flagstaff2001/InputDocuments/UnofficialSubentriesInLDAP.pdf

I have arranged a private tour of the Lowell Observatory for Tuesday evening, 25 September, at 7:30. We already have to give up the meeting room early at 4 PM for another function that day so there should be adequate time for early eaters and "home work" assignments before going to the observatory. You don't want to miss it. We will get to see the place where Percival Lowell observed Mars and drew the "canali" leading to the speculations of life on Mars. See

http://aerospacescholars.org/scholars/earthmars/unit1/canali_and_first_martians.htm

Unlike modern observatories with their computer controlled telescopes hooked to imaging devices, the telescope at Lowell is what you would expect to see in a movie based on a Jules Verne book. It is a Clark refractor with a 24 inch diameter lens. You peer through the lens at the end of the telescope. If you want to look at something low on the horizon, you have to stand on a tall step ladder. If you want to observe something high overhead, you stand in a pit in the floor.

If the weather is good (and it should be in late September), we will each have a chance to look through the telescope.

more information can be found at  http://www.lowell.edu/

   hoyt