Sender: Robert.Byrne@Sun.COM
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:14:29 +0200
From: robert byrne <robert.byrne@Sun.COM>
To: ietf-ldapext@netscape.com
Subject: too many permissions in the ACM

Folks,

This is continuing the issue Mark and others raised in the "ACM
permission" thread about the fact that there are too many permissions in
this model and the consequent complexity/manageability/security
implications of that.  In this thread I want to focus on resolving this
problem as best we can.

If you think that too-many-permissions is a flaw in this model then you
need to propose a way to fix that.  Presumably the way to do that is to
drop some of the functionality that this large permissions set is
providing.  However if you do that then you need to be explicit about
the functionality you are dropping so that the list can decide if that
simplicty/functionality trade off is the right thing.  The way to
proceed
here is to pick a permission you don't like, go section 5, see where
it's used and see if you can live without the granularity/functionality
that permission is providing.  Then you need to explain that to the
list.

To help a bit, I have included a previous mail where I outlined the
functionality each permission provides and includes a proposal to drop
two of the permissions ("t" and "p") with an explanation of why I think
that
would be acceptable.

Rob.