Re: alternate "dc" naming conventions

Michael Helm wrote:

> Is there any reason to think this might not be a problem in
> other infrastructures anyway (eg the Active Directory - based
> W2K domain)?  Suppose a simpler example: one
> directory that manages authentication, with basename ou=users,
> dc=es,dc=net, & another that manages a phone book, basename
> ou=staff,dc=es,dc=net; these two are only loosely coordinated
> (or not).
> Sure, the clients of these servers could get confused.
> They would have to be smart enough to rotor thru the
> DNS SRV RR's they get back (unlikely).

No, the LDAP clients will have to follow referrals. Multiple SRV RRs
should always point to servers holding the same dc-style naming
context. If this naming context is partitioned the server has to
direct the client to the right server by sending a referral.

One open question for me is if a client is allowed to walk upwards
the DNS tree to search for SRV RRs.

E.g. when requesting dc=subdomain,dc=es,dc=net a client might try to
lookup

_ldap._tcp.subdomain.es.net

and if that failed go ahead with looking up

_ldap._tcp.es.net

although the client is still solely interested in getting
dc=subdomain,dc=es,dc=net.

Ciao, Michael.