RE: new control for filtering dn attribute values based upon their object class

At 03:22 PM 5/22/2001 -0700, Bob Joslin wrote:
Hi Bruce,

Looks like a useful control (we have applications that may need to deal with
DNs based membership.)  But I thought I'd throw in a curve ball...

Thanks for the review.

It seems that the purpose of the control is so that the client application
can quickly filter through the DNs and examine only the ones that it is
interested in.

That is a main requirement. It will also help to eliminate some of the values that are even returned, which may speed up the data transfer somewhat as well.

So, instead of returning a list of objectclass values in the
search results, would it make sense instead to pass in an ldap filter in the
control.

I had considered that. The reason that I used the object class only is that I thought that would be easier for the server vendors to implement, and that it still meets many requirements for the ldap application developers. In some server implementations, entries are either indexed based on object class, or otherwise categorized in such a way that it is relatively easy to determine the object class of an entry. While your proposal is certainly a more general approach, other attribute types are not normally so easy to categorize. Additionally, there might be a substantial performance penalty in using attribute types other than the object class. Due to this, I thought that LDAP server vendors might be more receptive to my simpler proposal. I would support either my current proposed mechanism or the more general mechanism if there were sufficient interest by the LDAP server folks. In either case, I can guarantee that there would be sufficient interest by LDAP application developers in the use of the resulting new feature.

The control then causes the server to only return the DNs that
pass that filter?

The control also provides a way for the client to learn the object classes of the DNs that are returned, in addition to actually filtering out some of the uninteresting DNs from being returned at all.

So to follow your example, the filter would be
"(objectclass=strongAuthenticationUser)".  And only those DNs that are of
that OC would be returned.

Food for thought.

Bob Joslin
Hewlett-Packard Company.