Re: new control for filtering dn attribute values based upon theirobject class

My initial reaction is that this would be quite useful to authors of
LDAP client applications.  But it would be challenging for a server
implementation to quickly return the information contained in the
DNObjectClassResponse control (there will be additional overhead for
these kinds of search requests or additional overhead for adds,
modifies, and deletes).

What is the most important problem you are trying to address from the
client perspective?  If it is that you need a way to determine if a
member within a groupOfNames object is another groupOfNames vs. a
different kind of entry (e.g., a person), a simpler solution would be to
define a new grouping mechanism that does not mix together nested group
DNs with other DNs.  This is in fact what iPlanet has done in their iDS
5.0 product with our new roles feature.

-Mark Smith
 Netscape