From: robert byrne [mailto:robert.byrne@Sun.COM]
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2001 10:55 AM
To: Kurt D. Zeilenga
Cc: ietf-ldapext@netscape.com
Subject: Re: subjects in LDAP ACMs

Kurt,

Your list of proposed non-factor subjects seems fine to me and I take
your point that you may want to specify a factor or factors as well as
any one of these subjects.

If we jiggle the current BNF in 4.1.1 a bit in order to group the
factors together (authnLevel, ipaddress and dns) and add your
"authorized" and "anonymous" labels then I think it does give something
that's better structured:

subject =               [factor] simpleSubject

simpleSubject = 	( "authzID-" authzID ) /
                         ( "role:" dn ) /
                         ( "group:" dn ) /
                         ( "subtree:" dn ) /
                       "this:" /
			"public:" /
			"authorized:" / ; authenticated and authorized
			"anonymous:"	; unauthenticated

factor = [ "authnLevel:" authnLevel ":" ]
	[ "ipAddress:" ipAddress ]
        [ "dns:" [ "*." ] domainname ) ]

I think using "authorized" is confusing as it's often used to refer to
the end result of access control the user is authorized to do the
LDAP operation.  How about rather "identified" ?

As for making the factors extensible...that sounds fine but it might be
more pragmatic to focus on the factors we have already identified
(authnLevel, ipaddress/dns names) to try to get agreement on how to
handle those.

Rob.