Re: IP Address in the ACM (Was: Comments on Access Control Model - BNF)

I agree with everything you say here, Kurt.

I think non-ACI mechanisms are better than ACI mechanisms for restricting
topology, and
I also agree that only IP address ranges or wildcarded expressions scale if
you want to
use an ACI-based mechanism to do this.

I was originally and still am personally opposed to the inclusion of IP
address as a subject
attribute in access control systems.

In terms of precedence, let's try to reason through this:

     (1) If an ACL says to grant on the basis of IP address but deny on the
basis of
          some other attribute (username, group, etc....), then the
behavior we
          want is (in my opinion) "deny".  Rationale: the user is
prohibited from
          access, regardless of where he's sitting.

     (2) If an ACL says to deny on the basis of IP address but grant on the
basis of
          some other attribute (username, group, etc....), then the
behavior we want
          is *also* (in my opinion) "deny".  Rationale: the user is allowed
access,
          but not from where he's sitting.

Is there a way to achieve this with our current resolution algorithm?  I'd
have to check more
carefully than I have time to do right now.

--bob

Bob Blakley
Chief Scientist
Enterprise Solutions Unit