RE: IP Address in the ACM (Was: Comments on Access ControlModel - BNF)

	-----Original Message-----
	From: robert byrne
	Sent: Thu 4/5/2001 7:17 AM
	To: Kurt D. Zeilenga
	Cc: Paul Leach; ietf-ldapext@netscape.com
	Subject: Re: IP Address in the ACM (Was: Comments on Access
ControlModel - BNF)

	I don't think we should put optional things in the spec--it will
create
	interoperability problems.

If someone implements a product that is not intended to be used in
environments where IP addresses as subjects is secure, then why should
we make them implement it?

		I don't see why you are particularly down on ip address
subjects, but a
		subject with simple authentication doesn't seem to
bother you.  I mean,
		in practice I would say there is not much difference in
the risk
		involved in granting rights based on ip addresses and
granting rights to
		a subject with an authentication level of "simple".

I'm quite willing to outlaw simple unless its over SSL, if everyone
would go along with it. Any takers? Silence may mean assent to
inevitablilty, but not necessarily agreement.

And yes, the security consideration about use of simple over unencrypted
links ought to be couched in apocolyptic language.

Paul

<<winmail.dat>>