Re: LDAP Enhancement Style Guide

At 10:18 PM 3/31/2001 -0800, Rob Weltman wrote:

I agree in principle, but in practice I think it varies. How is a client to know if the server understands the additional field? A client can check if a server supports a particular control by OID by reading the root DSE, but there is no way to check for a version of a control. In some cases it's OK; for example the field might indicate that the client wants the server to return some additional information besides the response implied by the "base" control fields, it can check the response to see if the additional info is there, and it doesn't matter much if it's not there. But in other cases it would not be acceptable - e.g. the operation is useless or worse to the client if the server doesn't understand the new field, or the client can't tell from the response if the server took the additional field into account or not.

You make good points. I still think that it should be a SHOULD. I will add your arguments to the next revision.

Rob

============================================== Bruce Greenblatt, Ph. D. Directory Tools and Application Services, Inc. http://www.directory-applications.com