Re: IP Address in the ACM (Was: Comments on Access Control Model - BNF)

I agree in general that IP addresses shouldn't be used as identities and
that RFC2820 is correct on
this count.  However the goal at the time the original model draft was
written was to support (or at least
not exclude) things which existing implementations were already doing,
however misguided they might
be from a "pure security" point of view.  Several implementations supported
and still support IP addresses
as subject attributes.

To your second point, the precedence assignment was based on the
observation that it's usually not
a single IP address which is included in a policy, but a range of IP
addresses.  Normally everything within
(or everything except) a specific IP address range is excluded from access
-- REGARDLESS of other
attributes.  Hence IP address became the highest precedence -- because the
mechanism is essentially
enforcing topology control & hence to be effective has to be enforced
first.

--bob

Bob Blakley
Chief Scientist