IllegalArgumentException (WG last call on the Java API)

Rob,

One thing that is confusing to me is the following:

When does a method throw LDAPException with PARAM_ERROR
 vs
throwing IllegalArgumentException

I realize that the method in the discussion below
does not throw LDAPException but many others do.
How does one determine which of the two exceptions is thrown?

-Steve

------------------------
Steve Sonntag
Novell, Inc., the leading provider of Net services software

"Kurt D. Zeilenga" wrote:

> >4.11 public class LDAPDN
> >   A utility class representing a distinguished name (DN).
> >
> >4.11.1 equals
> >   public static boolean equals(String dn1, String dn2)
> >
> >   Returns true if the two strings correspond to the same DN, after
> >   appropriate normalization.
>
> What if either DN is invalid?

  IllegalArgumentException is thrown.