From: Michael Armijo
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 4:02 PM
To: John.Liang@openwave.com; ietf-ldapext@netscape.com
Subject: RE: Updated Result Code for LDAP Controls draft -
draft-armijo-ldap-control-error-01.txt

The main goal of this draft is to not overload existing result codes
(like 'other').  Likewise, this result code should not be overloaded.
That is the reason for the 'SHOULD NOT be used to represent... existing
result code' wording.  This is particularly important for controls that
will primarily make use of the operation response field for error
handling.

That said, there will be controls (such as Sort and VLV) that wish to
have control-specific result codes returned via an embedded result
field.  In these cases, the best practice would be to return
controlError in the operation response and to return any results
relevant to the control in the embedded response.

Re-reading the draft, I can see where there might be some ambiguity
about this.  I will update the wording (pending any more comments) and
send out an updated draft to the list.

Michael