Re: application defined permissions

Bruce,

I agree with the responses...I think there needs to be a way to
distinguish these "application/user" extended permissions from
"operational" extended permissions, which we may wish to add to the
model later.  At first I thought we could get away with one extension
mechanism for permissions, but the fact that the server can always
ignore your extended application permissions means this is not
possible.  As this means building support for these application extended
permissions explicitly into the model I'm not so warm to the idea.  The
reason, from the implementor point of view is, it's hard enough to get
the core operational access control right without having to worry about
stuff not strictly necessary  to the core.
So my suggestion would be as follows.  Well this is an application
issue.  Even if the application is allowed define it's own permissions,
it still has to define (extenally to the directory) which entries and
attributes these permissions apply to.  So, why not have the application
use existing permissions (after all there is a whole slew of them) on
special entries and attributes that the application defines and
interpret these in a way meaningful to the application ?  For example
instead of requiring the extended application permission "sitOn" to the
entry "cn=brucesChair,o=chezBruce", the application could require the
"r" permission to this entry and interpret that as "sitOn".  Granted,
that involves the application in another mapping task but it can still
leverage the getEffectiveRights control, which seems to be your main
motivation.

Rob.