RE: Fix for VLV draft.

At 02:47 PM 1/30/01 -0700, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>>Any comments?
>
>Yes, I don't think we should have done that. I think we should have stated that an error is returned, and the client can re-try with a modified control.

I concur and hope this will be resolved by a revision of the specification.
I also note that it may be appropriate for LDAPbis WG to consider adding a
statement to the TS to discourage further overloading of the criticality
field.  It should at least be covered in draft-greenblatt-ldapext-style-00.txt.

And, BTW, "The criticality is FALSE (MAY be absent)" [VLV, 5.2] should actually be
"The criticality SHALL be FALSE and, hence, absent."  Per RFC2251, DEFAULT
values are not present in the BER encoding of LDAP itself.

Kurt