Re: Open issues with the Java LDAP API draft

  OK, that's true. The SDK can instantiate response controls using the LDAPControl constructor signature, based on the control having been registered. So we can eliminate newInstance. newInstance was intended to take the BER-encoding of a control and instantiate a control, but we can assume that an SDK implementation has already parsed the BER into its components and will use the components to instantiate a control.

  But if we remove the other four methods (for getting and setting the input and output stream), how would one apply a SASL security layer?

Rob

Javed Khan wrote:

 There should not be any interoperability issues with controls ifwe remove the newInstance method. The SDK has responsibility for creating the appropriate LDAPControlobject.  How it creates it is up to the implementation.  Of course,depending upon controls that might have been registered the SDKmight have to call a constructor of an application specified Class.  But againwhen and how this constructor get called is up to the implementation. Javed >>> Rob Weltman <robw@worldspot.com> Thursday, January 25, 2001 3:16:44 PM >>>
  That would kill interoperability. A SASL layer that worked with one implementation of the LDAP API would not work with another, and a control written for one implementation would not work with another implementation.

Rob