Re: Open issues with the Java LDAP API draft

4.6.22 getResponseControls

.... The method always returns null for asynchronous requests.

I believe what is meant here is that controls are never stored
for asynchronous requests.  I don't believe it means that
if an application makes a synchronous request, then
follows it up by an asynchronous request, that the
asynchronous request destroys any control data
stored from the synchronous request, i.e. stores null
where the last control is saved for that thread.