Re: ldap acl draft (06): browse needed ?

I agree with Kurt's view. At a point in NDS's past, we had to abandon the hierarchical, or tree-walk type of searching that required the browse permission due to the scalability and performance constraints it imposed.

Jim

>>> "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org> 1/6/01 10:15:26 AM >>>
Bob,

If I understand your suggestion properly, you wish to have a
mechanism where return entries is controlled by controls placed
upon 'intermediate' entries.  I define an intermediate entry
as any entry between the 'base' and matching entry excluding
both.

In implementations that I am familiar with, providing such
functionality would be extremely difficult as they use indexing
systems to locate matching entries and don't examine intermediate
entries (or ACLs upon intermediate entries) to determine whether
or not to returned matched entries.  Doing so would be require
significant redesign of such implementations.

I would suggest that any ACL feature which required servers relying
on the contents of intermediate entries be OPTIONAL.

Kurt