Re: Returning Partial Results for an operation

IMO I see two kinds of responses a server may want to return on receiving an abandon:

1. A response to the abandon operation itself ( useful to clients to know that abandon was received).
2. A partial/full response to the original operation which was abandoned ( useful for sending accumulated partial results).

While the first requires an extended request and response and the need for the client to understand the same, the second may require a change to rfc2251 sec. 4.11 alone:

 "In the event that a server receives an Abandon
   Request on a Search Operation in the midst of transmitting responses
   to the search, that server MUST cease transmitting entry responses to
   the abandoned request immediately, and MUST NOT send the
   SearchResponseDone."

If the first MUST condition in the above passage is removed, and the second one retained, the server will be able to send accumulated responses. The above clause is for search, but the same also applies to other requests returning partial responses.

The clients should work with this change because, they "MUST be prepared to receive results from operations it has abandoned" (4.11).

Thanks and Regards,
Haripriya

>>> "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org> 12/23/00 01:51PM >>>
I'd be happy to co-author an abandon I-D.

The use of an control upon abandon to solicit an
(extended? new?) response would likely not be supported
by an client API.

I believe an extended operation is the best approach.

Kurt