Re: Fwd: Re: draft Java-api-12

Rob Weltman wrote:

>   It might be better instead to eliminate the current unsolicited
> notification methods and instead have methods to add and remove
> listeners for usolicited notifications. The implementation can then
> discard unsolicited notifications if there are no listeners. For
> example (I haven't thought this through completely yet):
>
> LDAPConnection
>
> public LDAPResponseListener addUnsolicitedNotificationListener(
> LDAPResponseListener listener )
>
> public void removeUnsolicitedNotificationListener(
> LDAPResponseListener listener )
>
> Rob

It seems natural to me that if unsolicited notifications are enabled on
listener, that the method LDAPListener.getMessageIDs() would include
message ID 0 in the list of message IDs, and that
LDAPConnection.abandon(0)
and LDAPConnection.abandon(listener) could be used to removeUnsolicited
notifications from a listener or listeners.  This raises some questions.

1) Should getMessageIDs show messageID 0 when unsolicited notification
are enabled?  (My vote is yes)

2) Should the draft allow abandon to be used to remove unsolicited
notifications?
(this means that message ID 0 is treated like a message that never
completes)

3) If number two is allowed, is removeUnsolicitedNotificationListener()
necessary?

-Steve