RE: LDAP server location and DN->DNS mapping

I agree with David in that I don't believe the approach of extracting any
embedded dc elements solves the problem.  In addition, the appending of dc
elements to the least-significant end of a DN appears to introduce some
potentially disruptive semantic changes into the nature of a DN itself, but
I'll save that for another discussion.

To address the issue at hand (LDAP server location), my company is making
definite moves in the direction of dc-based DNs. However, the same cannot
necessarily be said for our 65,000 or so trading partners.  Many of those
are likely to continue using the civil naming approach indefinitely.
Regardless what approach they take, we will need to be able to resolve their
names and find their associated directory entries.  What we need, therefore,
is a deterministic algorithm that gets us from any arbitrary DN to a
cognizant LDAP server (or to a definitive determination of the non-existence
of such a server).

I've been giving this matter considerable thought lately, and have a
somewhat embryonic idea to propose for discussion. Unfortunately, I don't
have it fully articulated just yet, and am getting ready to disappear from
the scene until January 2.  Nonetheless, at the risk of generating a
firestorm just as I leave for for vacation :-), I'll share my thinking:

1) continue to use dc/SRV mapping as presently defined.
2) define a mapping between c=XX and dc=<ccTLD> (with special mappings as
needed to handle cases like c=GB --> dc=uk)
3) define a new RR type (for sake of discussion, let's call it an O-record)
that resolves o=<orgName> to a fully qualified domain name (much like a
CNAME RR, but with a different label field).

Items 2 and 3 would give us the ability to deterministically map DNs of the
form "o=Something, c=ZZ" to an arbitrary domain name, which could then be
queried for LDAP services as if the DN ended in the dc equivalent of that
domain name.

As an example, my company could (hypothetically, of course) register with
the owner of the .us domain, who would create an O-record with the label
field equal to "Lockheed Martin" and a data field of, say "lmco.com".  Thus,
a DN ending in "o=Lockheed Martin, c=US" would query .us, receiving
"lmco.com" in response.  (Note that this maps across TLDs without
difficulty.)

4) building on this concept, define another new RR type (for sake of
discussion, let's call it an OU-record) that queries the domain returned by
step 3 and resolves ou=<orgUnitName> to a fully qualified domain name.

Items 2 through 4 now give us the ability to deterministically map DNs of
the form "ou=Some org unit, o=Some Company, c=ZZ" to an arbitrary domain
name.

5) apply 4 recursively, querying the domain previously returned and we can
have an arbitrarily deep mapping.

Noting the similarities between the O-record and OU-record above, it might
be meaningful to consider a more general-purpose RR type instead (let's call
it an AVA-record, replacing both the O-record and OU-record), for which the
label field is defined as an arbitrary attribute value assertion such as
"o=Company Name". This AVA record could then collapse steps 3 through 5 into
a single step, applied recursively, giving us the ability to resolve any
country-rooted DN to a domain name.  That domain name could then be used in
the same manner as if the DN itself were a dc-style DN as known today.

This also opens the possibility of adding to the current dc algorithm to
intersperse dc and civil attribute types in the DN. Much more thought needs
to be applied to this, but it looks like a deterministic algorithm is within
reach.

Obviously, there are many, many issues to be worked through, not the least
of which are the registration issues at the ccTLD level and issues of what
to do with non-country/non-dc rooted DNs. However, it seems to me that there
might be something here worth pursuing.

Any thoughts?

 -- Skip Slone
    Lockheed Martin