Re: what's a standards track control?

At 02:22 PM 11/6/2000, Mark Wahl wrote:
Bruce Greenblatt wrote:

> What does it mean for an RFC that defines an LDAP control to be Standards
> Track?  Since it clearly isn't a requirement that all LDAP Servers to
> implement the control, I wonder what the difference is between a "Standards
> Track" control and an "Informational Track" control.

RFC 2026 defines the difference between standards track and informational and
experimental.

Yes, I know that. It was after re-reading RFC 2026, that I posted my note. As far as I can tell, there is no difference (yet) between a Standards Track control, and an Informational Track control. I would recommend that unless there is substantial consensus that the control will be widely implemented, then controls should be Informational. I think that Standards Track should be reserved for those controls which the IETF community feels are important for all servers to implement. Before any more controls go forward, some guidance should be provided over what makes up difference between Experimental, Informational and Standards Track Controls...

[snip]

Extensions are optional to implement by client or server, except when referenced
by an Applicability Statement or the core protocol definition. This does not
keep them from being standards-track.

They are now, but I can imagine that there may come a time that Servers will be required to implement a particular control (or some other extension).

Mark Wahl
Sun Microsystems Inc.

Bruce Greenblatt, Ph. D.
Directory Tools and Application Services, Inc.
http://www.directory-applications.com
See my new Book on Internet Directories: http://www.phptr.com/ptrbooks/ptr_0139744525.html