Re: JavaLDAP Draft - change to Extended Operation

Suppose you have a class that based on the input parameters and
must choose from a selection of OIDs to generate an extended
operation or control , i.e., the class is of an OID multiplexor.

In this case the OIDs constants, but must be chosen and then
put into the constuctor of the class.

-Steve

>>> Rob Weltman <robw@worldspot.com> 30-Oct-00 1:59:26 PM >>>
  I agree with LDAPExtendedOperation.setValue, but I don't see a need for setID, except for on deserialization. The ID is not computed, it is a constant.

  But we might have to add setID to allow deserialization of an LDAPControl. Does LDAPExtendedOperation need to be serializable?

Rob

Steve Sonntag wrote:

 Previously we discussed adding setValue to LDAPControl,but a similar method is also needed for LDAPExtendedOperation. protected void setValue(byte[] newVals); Both LDAPExtendedOperation and LDAPControl also need protected void setID(String newoid)  Without these methods a child class is required to know the OID and the BER encoded data at the beginning of its constructor.  Most child classes have to do some manupulation before they have build the BER encoded data and the OID Should the scope be public or protected? Probably protected is adequate
Steve Sonntag
Novell, Inc., the leading provider of Net services software