Re: RFC 2596 questions

At 12:15 AM 10/20/00 -0600, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>We need to revise 4.1.5 of RFC 2251 to say one of the following:
>
>1) "An AttributeDescription with one or more options is treated as a direct subtype of the attribute type without any options" (inserted direct)
>
>or
>
>2) "An AttributeDescription with one option is treated as a direct subtype of the attribute type without any options. An AttributeDescription with more than one option is treated as a direct subtype of all the possible AttributeDescriptions that could be made up of all lesser combinations the options"

Note that neither of these two descriptions imply "cn;lang-x-foo" can be
returned with "name;lang-x-foo" is requested.

I believe we need to separately describe attribute description "subtyping"
(which should be an elective feature like attriute type subtyping).
Attribute description subtyping likely depends on a number of factors
including attribute type subtyping.  Attribute description subtyping
will likely rely on multiple inheritance.

I concur that RFC 2251 needs to be revised to provide an adequate
specification of attribute description subtyping behavior.

Kurt