Re: Fwd: controlling visability of subentries

Date sent:      	Thu, 19 Oct 2000 14:39:27 -0400
From:           	Mark Smith <mcs@netscape.com>

> Perhaps.  A reasonable compromise might be to return LDAP subentries
> in these two cases:

Mark

I agree with you. If the dn of the subentry is used in a base Search
(and the schema subentry DN can be easily got from every entry
that holds the subschemaSubentry op attribute for example), then it
would be churlish to not return any information just because the
control is not set

David

> 1) When a returnSubEntries control (to be defined) is present in the
> search request.
>
> 2) When the scope of the search is baseObject.
>
> Why return LDAP subentries in case 2)?  Because it is more compatible
> with 2251.  And because I do not think it does any harm -- if a client
> knows the name of a subentry, it might just as well be able to
> retrieve it without using any controls.  Comments?
>
> --
> Mark Smith
> Netscape

David Chadwick
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 790 167 0359
Email D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J