Re: Java LDAP API issues summary - round 2

Rob Weltman wrote:

> Steven Sonntag wrote:
> >
> > Rob Weltman wrote:
> >
> > >   This is an attempt to summarize all issues discussed since my summary to the list on 9/24 this year.

--- snip ---

>   All the per-instance options can be eliminated immediately in favor of setConstraints/setSearchConstraints. And with nothing left (except possibly STRING_FORMAT), I agree that we can afford to add the two suggested additional methods to get the bound protocol level and the properties Hashtable used on binding.
>
> Rob

I'm just curious why STRING_FORMAT is possily  global.  If I understand this API correctly
an application could choose to get all data in T.61 format whether or not the connection is V2 or V3.

Is it global because an application will probably deal only with one character set, or because of of something
intrinsic to the connection itself.

-Steve

--
Steve Sonntag