Re: a question regarding qdstring defn in RFC 2252

The wording of this section is really a problem.  I am at a loss to
understand
what:

    the following separator symbol character (such as "'", "$" or "#")

means.  How can you specify "the following separator symbol character" and
then give an example of the characters.

Specific questions are:

    1. What is the treatment of \xx when the input is not part of a
production,
    and xx are hex digits?  My guess is that the characters are treated as
    actual characters and \xx is returned on a read (search) function.

    2. If the LDAP input is a production, the standard can be interpreted
    two ways.

        2.1 In a production, the backslash quoting mechanism is always
        recognized.  A Distinguished Name, in a production, uses the quote
        mechanism described for a DN as well as the \xx mechanism.

        2.2 In a production, the backslash quoting mechanism is recognized
        only for characters that separate fields of the specific production.
        A Distinguished Name, in a production, uses the quote mechanism
        described for a DN as well as the \xx mechanism.

    Is \xx always interpreted as a hex representation of a character in
    a production?

    3. With nested productions, as are used in some X500 syntaxes, when
    are the \xx fields converted to the characters?
---
David Cahlander David.A.Cahlander@syntegra.com 651-415-3171