RE: Feature discovery (Was: RFC 2596 questions)

David,

I wasn't really aiming at dynamic attribute subtyping (though it's
doable) but rather at being able to choose an OID for an attribute
with option that is the same as what everyone else chooses.

> The second issue is how to unambiguously represent an attribute
> subtype in protocol. We could use either or both of OIDs and ldap
> strings. We currently have neither of these as ldap strings are only
> locally defined and there is no current way of automatically
> generating an OID representation. YOur message below gave one
> suggestion for the latter. The Internet 2 folks were suggesting
> globally unique strings for ldap attribute types as a solution to the
> former.

Would these globally unique strings be things like,

employeeNumber.attributeType.adacel.com.au

and/or,

joint-iso-ccitt.ds.attributeType.commonName

and/or ( :-) ),

2.5.4.3 ?

There are two situations we need to deal with; two different
objects having the same identifier, and an object having multiple
identifiers. The globally unique strings would fix the former
but the latter also has its problems. If server S1 chains a search
request on joint-iso-ccitt.ds.attributeType.commonName to server S2 but
S2 only knows the attribute by the name 2.5.4.3 then it will respond
with an empty result. Either the alternative names must be known
(or discoverable - yuk!) everywhere, or a single specific name of the
object must always be used in protocol. At the moment we have strings
in LDAP and OIDs in DSP, etc. Insisting on dotted decimal OID notation
in LDAP is one solution. However, if globally unique strings are going
to be used to identify attribute types without there necessarily being
a corresponding defined OID then I would suggest extending the attribute
type (in X.500) to be a choice between an OID or a unique string.
Either or both identifiers could be part of the attribute definition,
but this would be set in concrete at the time of definition.

> Of course if we only have static definitions with fixed OIDs then
> both problems are solved, but as you point out there could be an
> explosion of new static definitions.
>
> I suggest that this work should be defined in conjunction with the
> X.500 group, since they now have an LDAP alignment work item,
> and the work seems to me to be of a fundamental basis.

No argument there!

> We could for example suggest a change to the ASN.1 of an
> attribute type by making it a sequence of OIDs with an optional
> subtype qualifier OID after the mandatory attribute type OID.

That helps by reducing the N x M problem to an M problem. We'd still
need to have an OID for each attribute option, which they currently
don't have. The attribute type could be changed to include a sequence
of character string attribute options to allow a direct mapping
from LDAP to DSP, but we'd have the usual problems of
ambiguous identifier strings. Globally unique string names would
solve that, though they could be a bit cumbersome.

Regards,
Steven