LDAPMessage.nextElement() in java-api-11

As I was looking at LDAPMessage.nextElement()
I wondered how the API should communicate to the
application that an  LDAP error has occurred on the
connection such as TIMEOUT.  We cannot throw
an LDAPException because that violates the
Enumeration contract.

Should the description be extended to include
returned value may be
     an LDAPEntry, an LDAPResponse, or an LDAPReferralException
     where an LDAPResponse is returned on error cases and encapsulates
     the error code.

-Steve

Steve Sonntag
Novell, Inc., the leading provider of Net services software