Re: Feature discovery (Was: RFC 2596 questions)

Jim,
Perhaps a combination of the approaches mentioned already really is needed,
then.  Servers could publish in their rootDSE the attributetype
options/extensions that they support.  This would allow anyone adding to or
modifying the schema to know what the server supports.  However, the server
could also publish as part of the schema what the "currently active" set of
attributetype "descriptors" (to use Tim's term) is.

Would these be specified by syntax or by attributetype, though, or both?
Setting these by syntax allows defaults to be in effect for each
attributetype.  I suppose this is no more confusing than  "default"
matching rules based upon syntax.

Karen

Internet: kgdaniec@us.ibm.com
Internal: Karen Gdaniec/Endicott/IBM@IBMUS or
                 IBMUSM10(KGDANIEC)
phone: 607.752.1075   tie-line: 8/852-1075
fax: 607.752.3681
---------------------- Forwarded by Karen Gdaniec/Endicott/IBM on

"Jim Sermersheim" <JIMSE@novell.com> on 09/18/2000 12:51:48 PM