Re: Duplicate entries filter

At 01:48 PM 8/8/00 -0600, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>Oh yeah, now I remember.  This is an addition that Kurt pointed out should be there. The thinking was that it'd be unexpected to return entries that don't match the search filter. This being the case, there's a bit of functionality crossover between the dupent and matchedval drafts (under the right conditions).

Of course, it quite normal (for a non-extended search) for returned
entries not to match don't match the filter... (because of access
controls or whatever).

Basically, it's a issue of semantics.  Is the filter applied
before or after duplication?  (note: servers often use the
the filter for selection of "candidates" within scope, but this
is an optimization which is irrelevant as long as outcome is
not changed).

That is,
        a) all entries within scope are duplicated per the control,
      then filtered.

        b) all entries within scope are filtered, then duplicated
        per the control.

I find a) more useful than b).  However, there could be room for
both.  Dare I suggest another BOOLEAN?

Kurt