From: Harald Alvestrand [mailto:Harald@Alvestrand.no]
Sent: Tuesday, 1 August 2000 20:44
To: Rich Salz; d.w.chadwick@salford.ac.uk
Cc: Bruce Greenblatt; ietf-ldapext@netscape.com
Subject: Re: Use of criticality in dupent-04

At 10:16 30/07/2000 -0400, Rich Salz wrote:
>I think it's more likely that a repository must want to include a critical
>control in its response that allows it to "disclaim" some of its data.  For
>example, "these search results are not to be used for spam," "i cannot
vouch
>for the content you'll get when you follow these referrals," etc.

another typical case would be "these data are incomprehensible if you don't
understand this control" - for instance if we (horror!) were to define a
control for tagging returned text as being Shift-JIS encoded instead of
UTF-8.

The server can't force the client to do anything special, but can give
appropriate warning that results are likely to be incomprehensible, and the
only appropriate action on the client's side may be presenting an "upgrade
your software?" message to the unhappy user.

                 Harald

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, alvestrand@cisco.com
+47 41 44 29 94