Re: delete permission

Date forwarded: 	Fri, 21 Jul 2000 07:46:37 -0700 (PDT)
Date sent:      	Fri, 21 Jul 2000 09:45:20 -0500
To:             	d.w.chadwick@salford.ac.uk, bgreenblatt@directory-applications.com
From:           	Ellen Stokes <stokes@austin.ibm.com>
Subject:        	Re: delete permission
Copies to:      	ietf-ldapext@netscape.com
Forwarded by:   	ietf-ldapext@netscape.com

> David,
>
> On relating the subtreeACI and subtree operation...
>
> My thinking is that if there is a subtreeACI with a delete permission,
> then when the subtree delete operation is executed on the server, the
> subtreeACI is checked for delete permission and since it is set the
> subtree operation succeeds.

Not so. There may be an entry somewhere in the subtree that
forbids the deletion of that single entry. Therefore the subtree
delete should fail, as the client does not have permission to delete
the whole tree. This is why I said that separation of the ACI into two
attributes made no difference at all.

> But this specific case is uninteresting until the time at which both
> subtreeACI and subtree operation exist.
>
> Until then, I see delete used only against leaf entries (as you
> pointed out that's what X.500 does) and when subtreeACI exists it
> would have the semantic of stating the delete operation (or any other
> operation) applies to the subtree until overridden by another ACI
> (either entry of subtree).

why would you want to change the above semantics (which I agree
with) when a subtree delete operation is introduced. I dont think you
should

David