Re: Typos, bugs, clarifications for ACI draft (ii, vii)

David,

Much of the power / ease of use provided in the access
control model is by granting large numbers of people a
given set of permission based on a single ACI. 'public'
is a good example of this. The second thing that is very
powerful is the ability to give someone permission to
their own entry by placing a single ldapACI value using
'this' in the tree.

So, when we look at the subject precedence order we must
include 'this' and 'public' and define where they fit.
We've stated that more specific takes precedence over less
specific, processing stops when ldapaci values for a given
specificity level. 'This' applies to a single DN at a time
( that which matches the entry DN ) and therefore, fits in
well with authzID which also applies to a single logical DN.
Different from a group which is many member DNs )

In order to take full advantage of the pseudo-DNs they need to apply to multiple levels. An example using 'this' : ldapACI: group RegDeptMembers has rs perms to telephone and rs to secureDocs. THIS has w perm telephone authzID guest has rs to telephone

Where we have an organization, and this ACI is on the dept
node, and each person in the dept is a child of the dept node.
We want all dept members to be able to read each other's
telephone numbers, but only update their own. We also have a
visiting guest for the month who is not a dept member but
should have access to telephone numbers.

If 'this' is the same precedence as authz-ID;
User guest would come in a receive permission to read
everything and have write access to his own entry.
However, the rest of the dept would be able to read
everything on each other's entries, but processing
for their own entry would not be as desired. They would
receive 'w' for telephone by virtue of 'this' but
processing would stop because 'this' is a higher precedence
then group. So, they could change their phone number,
but not read it.

If 'this' is the same precedence as group, then the
opposite happens. All dept members can read everyone's
phone number and update their own. However, the guest
can not update his phone number. Processing would stop
after finding that he matched on the authz level for
guest, and he would not receive the permission to update
his own phone number, since that is granted by 'this'
which is at the group level.

So, really, in order to really use the power that comes
with the concept of 'this' it really needs to be combined
with either groups or authZids and that by itself, it
should not stop processing due to precedence.

The same type of thing is true with the 'public' pseudoDN.

ellen