From: Rob Byrne - Sun Microsystems [mailto:Robert.Byrne@france.sun.com]
Sent: Friday, 14 July 2000 2:08
To: Lloyd, Alan; Ramsay, Ron; ietf-ldapext@netscape.com;
Albert.Langer@directory-designs.org
Subject: Re: LDAP subentry alignment with X.500 subentry

Ron/Alan/Albert,

Thanks for your responses.

 <snip>

[Ron]

I can so no purpose either for a general filter in a subentry of for scopes

  in entry ACI.

  The problem with the former is that, if the filter relates to

  telephoneNumber, for example, and the user deletes this attribute from his

  entry, the ACI may now behave unpredictably.

Ron, in our LDAP server  we provide this as a way to define entries to which
acis apply and this feature is used.  The effect is not unpredictable--the
behaviour of filters is well defined.  Though I agree that if the admin does
not define his policy well, the effect may be unexpected.  I think that the
use of this feature provides flexibilty but demands good management by the
admin--I guess it's a trade off.

 <snip>