Re: Unique identifiers for LDAP attributes

Date sent:      	Thu, 13 Jul 2000 10:37:33 -0700
To:             	"Jim Sermersheim" <JIMSE@novell.com>
From:           	"Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org>
Subject:        	Re: Unique identifiers for LDAP attributes
Copies to:      	<d.w.chadwick@salford.ac.uk>, <ietf-ldapext@netscape.com>

> At 11:12 AM 7/13/00 -0600, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
> >Though I agree with the general notion of moving toward the use of
> >unique OIDs, there's a minor flaw with this statement.
> >
> >objectIdentifierFirstComponentMatch uses the OID syntax which can
> >either be a numericoid (1.2.3.4) or the descr form (cn), so it's
> >still usable with short names as it stands today.
>
> But note a minor flaw in your statement.  A matchingRule should
> evaluate to Undefined if the attribute value doesn't conform
> to the defined attribute syntax.  With an OID in the attribute
> value, the syntax is invalid, so the matchingRule is Undefined.

Now this could be the true meaning of the text that I said was
particularly hard to understand in 8.4. At least I can understand
what you have written and I agree with it

David

> Kurt

David Chadwick
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 790 167 0359
Email D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J