RE: Revised Matched Values Draft

At 08:31 AM 7/12/2000 -0400, Miklos, Sue A. wrote:
>All,
>
>I can think of instances where there may be many values in an attribute, but
>they are mostly related to mail lists.  I have requirements to be able to
>manage varying sizes of lists (AllMil which is essentially a series of
>nested lists, down to smaller, 10-30 member lists).
>
>Can this narrow requirement be managed through superior schema design, or do
>I need to be able to match on member characteristics (name?) to selectively
>delete/update the information?
>

>From my perspective, there are many problems in using the groupOfNames
object class or something similar to manage mailing lists.  For example,
consider attempting to implement MajorDomo using just this LDAP object
class.  It becomes difficult to classify mailing list members since the
membership is implemented with a list of DNs.  There is no easy way to
attach additional information to indivual mailing list members.  An
approach is to begin using nested lists and containers to hold the
different lists, but this can lead to additional problems (such as constant
movement of list members from one sublist to another if a list member is
suspended).

In my opinion it would be straightforward to implement a robust mailing
list program that uses LDAP that doesn't create attributes with large
numbers of values.  It should be easier to administer than its counterpart.
 So, to answer your question, this narrow requirement CAN be managed
through "superior" schema design.

Bruce

Bruce Greenblatt, Ph. D.
Directory Tools and Application Services, Inc.
http://www.directory-applications.com
See my new Book on Internet Directories:
http://www.phptr.com/ptrbooks/ptr_0139744525.html