Re: Revised Matched Values Draft

Kurt wrote

> X.500 is designed to support multiple valued attributes.  In numerous
> cases it makes good sense for a given attribute to have many
> (hundreds, thousands, more?).  X.500 recognized this and, to aid in
> clients accessing such attributes, provide a mechanism to returned
> only the desired values.  LDAPv3 is missing this functionality.  This
> control extends LDAP to provide functionality already available to
> X.500 users (via DAP).

In fact, LDAP has provided a cleaner and more effective design
than X.500 originally did (if you remember we started out using the
X.500 design and replaced it with the new design due to
complexities and ambiguities in the X.500 design that effectively had
used one field (the filter) to do two different jobs (this is always a
bad design decision in the long run).

You might like to know that the X.500 group is proposing to start a
new work item "alignment with LDAP" and if the match values
control is standardised by LDAP then X.500 will almost certainly
add it to DAP in order to keep some semblance of alignment.

David

David Chadwick
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 790 167 0359
Email D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J