From: Kurt D. Zeilenga [mailto:Kurt@OpenLDAP.org]
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2000 3:05 AM
To: Lloyd, Alan
Cc: Miklos, Sue A.; Bruce Greenblatt; d.w.chadwick@salford.ac.uk;
ietf-ldapext@netscape.com
Subject: RE: Revised Matched Values Draft

At 11:38 PM 7/12/00 +1000, Lloyd, Alan wrote:
>Isnt it amazing that the reason for LDAP was that DAP was too complex - and
>here we are (years later) adding more complexity to LDAP beyond that of
>DAP..:-)
> regards alan

The primary complexity of DAP that LDAP removed was need to implement
the ISO protocol stack.

As far as other so-called simplications made, I would argue that many
of them have actually made things more complex.  Note that in X.500/DAP,
a client did not need to discover the syntax of attributes simply to
browse a directory... now everything is a BLOB until the client
reads and recognizes syntaxes of values as published in the subschema.