Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-ldap-schema-00.txt

One other comment - I have mentioned this previously when
commenting on RFC 2587, but as of yet no changes have
been made.

Building certification paths in a 'reverse'
direction (from trust anchor to EE) is a valid way to build
certification paths. However, RFC 2587 (PKIX LDAPv2 schema) specifies
that the storage of cross certificates in the reverse component of
the crossCertificatePair is optional. It is not possible to efficiently
build a certification path in a 'reverse' direction unless the
certificates are populated in the reverse component of the crossCertificatePair
attribute. Specifying that this feature is optional makes it
difficult to build paths in a reverse direction in a trust model
where lots of cross certificates and multiple directories
are involved and you don't know if the CAs support
the optional storage.

I would like to suggest that RFC 2587 be amended/updated
to make storage of cross certificates in the reverse component of the
crossCertificatePair attribute mandatory.

Thanks,
Sean