RE: Revised Matched Values Draft

From:           	"Lloyd, Alan" <Alan.Lloyd@ca.com>
To:             	Bruce Greenblatt <bgreenblatt@directory-applications.com>,
	d.w.chadwick@salford.ac.uk, "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org>
Copies to:      	ietf-ldapext@netscape.com
Subject:        	RE: Revised Matched Values Draft
Date sent:      	Wed, 12 Jul 2000 15:05:32 +1000

> My personal view..
>
> I agree with Bruce.. a directory is a common repository for many
> applications and users.. It follows that those using it are "looking
> for things fast" or browsing. It follows that good, predicatble schema
> design is essential if the directory is to be effective. A user who is
> looking for things will not have to much pre knowledge of an
> attributes value or values..

I disagree. The version that I am preparing has examples in which
this is precisely the case. They are
i) a user who wants a particular schema definition
ii) a user who wants a certificate with particular key usage bits (e.g.
an encryption certificate)

David

David Chadwick
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 790 167 0359
Email D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J