Re: String Encodings - was RE: Applicability Stmt (AS) rescinding "IESG Note" and defining "LDAPv3"

At 12:39 PM 7/9/2000 +0100, David Chadwick wrote:
>Bruce said
>
>> That's not what I meant at all.  Sorry for the confusion.  Instead of
>> defining a new syntax, make use of the existing syntaxes.  Here's a
>> simple example for the telephone number attribute.  I could define a
>> new syntax like:
>>
>> TelephoneNumber  ::= SEQUENCE {
>>               countryCode   [0]    DirectoryString,
>>               areaCode      [1]    DirectoryString,
>>               localNumber   [2]    DirectoryString }
>>
>> for use in attribute types that need telephone numbers, or I could
>> just directly use the DirectoryString syntax for these, and indicate
>> that they obey the following BNF:
>>
>> telephoneNumber = countryCode whsp "$" whsp areaCode whsp "$" whsp
>> localNumber ...
>
>I think you will find that the approaches are identical i.e. if we were
... [snip]

I think that is the point that I'm trying to make...  There is no reason
(that I can see) to define new atttribute syntaxes when you can use the
existing ones.  It is not always easy or possible to extend the syntaxes
that are available on a directory server...Bruce

Bruce Greenblatt, Ph. D.
Directory Tools and Application Services, Inc.
http://www.directory-applications.com
New Book on Internet Directories:
http://www.phptr.com/ptrbooks/ptr_0139744525.html